The 2022 Official Greenville, SC Visitor's Guide Cover Art Contest
Each year, VisitGreenvilleSC (the official and only destination marketing organization of Yeah, THAT Greenville) creates the Official Greenville, SC Visitor’s Guide, a printed piece used to promote both the City and County of Greenville. It puts Greenville’s best foot forward, inviting leisure and business travelers to come and discover our delightful little corner of the world.
For the 4th year, VGSC wants to feature an original work from a local regional artist on the cover. In partnership with the Metropolitan Arts Council and Artisphere, you are officially invited to submit up to two entries – your very best – that depict the sights and sounds of Greenville. The artist whose work is chosen to appear on the cover of 75,000 copies will receive a $5,000 commission for their work, an article on him/her in the Greenville Journal (which includes being professionally photographed), and the following Artisphere perks:
- The winner of this contest will be exempt from jury for the Artisphere Artists of the Upstate Juried Exhibition and will be able to compete for Best in Show, Award of Excellence, etc.
- The winning piece will be highlighted on Artisphere.org
- Artisphere may elect to use the winning piece on one of the branded products, e.g. their private label wine or notecards
- The winning piece will be made into a Fine Art Poster, sold online at VisitGreenvilleSC’s eStore
- Because the Visitor’s Guide advocates visitation to Greenville, SC, artwork should include content that depicts some aspect(s) of Greenville in a positive light. Content should reflect one of the following 3 areas:
a. Representation of Greenville (City)
- This could include, but is not limited to: Downtown, the Liberty Bridge, Main Street, Cleveland Park, Cancer Survivors Park, Brown Street, RiverPlace, Fluor Field, West End Historic District, Village of West Greenville, NOMA (North Main) area, etc.
b. Representation of Greenville County
- This could include, but is not limited to: Travelers Rest, Taylors, Greer, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn; Paris Mountain, Jones Gap, and Caesars Head State Parks; several small lakes; Campbell and Poinsett Bridges; the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area, etc.
c. Iconic Moments in/of the Destination
- Artwork may be created in any medium excluding photography, but please remember that the primary use will be as cover art for a printed Visitor’s Guide, which resembles a magazine. (The 2022 size will be 83/8 by 107/8 or approximately 8.5 x 11.)
- Each artist may submit up to two and ONLY two entries. Pieces may have been already created or a new original work, but you only get TWO entries. IF a 2nd entry is submitted, at least one of the entries must depict a representation of Greenville County as outlined above in 1b.
- Eligible artwork must be created by those who currently reside or work in the following Upstate South Carolina counties: 1) Greenville County, 2) Spartanburg County, 3) Laurens County, 4) Anderson County, or 5) Pickens County, South Carolina.
- Past winners of this contest may enter the contest again, and have his/her artwork chosen for a second time for the Guide cover. If there are no viable entries for the 2022 Cover Contest, past submissions from prior years may be used.
- The artist who creates the selected work will receive a payment of $5,000. No other entries will be awarded with cash or any other form of compensation. If the selected winning artist cannot be reached (with attempts made by both phone and email) over a period of 7 days, the artist may forfeit the win and alternate cover art will be chosen.
The selected artwork will become the wholly-owned property of VisitGreenvilleSC, and can be used for any and all purposes across any and all mediums deemed suitable by VGSC. Artists will sign a “Release of Artwork” and all rights will transfer to VGSC without exception. The artist will be permitted to use images of the original artwork for self-promotion purposes ONLY.
All other submissions (the tangible artwork) will remain the exclusive property of the artists who created them unless otherwise contracted by VGSC.
- However, any and all submissions for this contest may be reproduced in regard to promoting the contest, artwork, and/or artists themselves along with Greenville, SC as a travel destination—without additional permission required from the artist. Examples include contest descriptions in the printed Visitor’s Guide (see pages 98 & 99 of the 2018 Guide), showcasing examples of submissions at mid-year or annual VisitGreenvilleSC meetings through posters, notecards, etc., or selling said posters, notecards, or other miscellaneous items that include the submitted artwork wholly for promotional purposes of Greenville and always in a form that credits the artist.
By submitting an entry into this contest, you are agreeing to all of the rules stated above, 1-9.
- Original artwork should be created with a vertical magazine format in mind, since the work will appear on the cover of a magazine: Cover actual size will be 83/8 wide by 107/8 tall or approximately 8.5 x 11
- Tone: Keep in mind that the cover should feel bright, energetic, and engaging
- All work MUST be submitted ELECTRONICALLY via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Thus, you WILL need to photograph your artwork.) No original artwork should be sent or otherwise delivered to VGSC during the submission process.
- Submissions should be rendered at 300dpi at full size (hi-res files), then reduced (if necessary) to be delivered via email. If a submission is received by VGSC and an additional version is required for evaluation, that artist will be contacted directly.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Along with the selected artwork, the Guide’s name/masthead (“yeah, that” or “yeah, that greenville") will appear on the cover. (See the 2020-21 Guide Cover for reference.) This element does NOT need to be incorporated into the original artwork unless so desired by the artist, but please keep its eventual presence in mind as you develop or consider your submissions. It will be superimposed over your artwork, but may look different as it will be adjusted to mesh with the winning artwork.
- All submissions must be received no later than 1:00 PM ET on FRIDAY, AUGUST 20, 2021. Entries received after this time will not be accepted or considered.
- A completed VGSC Artwork Release Form MUST accompany your submission. Only the selected winner’s release form will be kept; all others will be discarded.
- A decision will be made no later than FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2021. All decisions are final and not subject to review or appeal.
- Only the winning artist will be contacted directly. An announcement regarding the winning selection/artist will be released via email and social media once the Guide is available in January 2022.
- FINAL ORIGINAL ARTWORK WILL BE DUE IMMEDIATELY. The winning artist will be responsible for successful delivery of final artwork to VGSC within 48 hours of notification.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: The artwork itself and the subject matter that is selected for the cover of the 2022 Guide must remain confidential until the release of the Guide in January 2022. NO photographs of the winning artwork shall appear on social media or any other public entity nor shall any artist publicly declare themselves the winner until Guide release in January 2022.
- All submissions Two Items: 1) Artwork and 2) Release Form should be emailed to:
- All questions regarding this opportunity should be directed to the following:
- Savannah Karkkanen, Assistant Project Manager/Intern at VisitGreenvilleSC; email@example.com. No phone calls.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS 1:00 PM ET on FRIDAY, AUGUST 20, 2021.