Basic Fish Cookery—Cooking Class at CHI
BASIC FISH COOKERY (HANDS ON)
This “scale to tail” hands-on course will demystify cooking fish at home. Chef will guide you through each step of preparing fresh snapper, with techniques that apply to all round fish (think bass, bream, cod, and others), from scaling to deboning. You’ll learn the best techniques for sautéing and poaching fish, how to make a delicious sauce with beurre manie and how to sauté vegetables that pair well with fish.
Snapper on the Half Shell
Mountain Cabbage Pilaf
Dill Poached Snapper
Basmati Rice and Butter Bean Perlo
At each Hands-on Cooking Class, you’ll enter the gleaming new commercial kitchen to be a culinary student for the day. Certified Executive Chef Bill Twaler has more than two decades of experience as a culinary educator and will help you become a stronger cook while enjoying your time in the kitchen. Hone your knives and your skills to become more proficient and efficient as you cook dinner for your family, impress your friends at the grill, or bake sweet treats with coworkers.
Each Hands-on Cooking Class includes the following:
- Step-by-step instruction from Chef Bill as you produce several dishes in our state-of-the-art commercial kitchen
- Knives and aprons to use during your class
- Enjoy all of the food you prepare at the end of class, and take home what you don’t finish!
- An informational packet with recipes, tips and techniques covered during your hands-on class
Put on an apron, learn a new skill and cook something delicious at CHI!
ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Bill Twaler, Certified Executive Chef (CEC)
Master of Science in Education, University of Kansas
Bachelor of Science in Food Service Management and Associate Degree in Culinary Arts, Johnson and Wales University
Before joining CHI, Chef Twaler was a Professor of Culinary Arts at the International Culinary Institute of Myrtle Beach, the Culinary Arts/ProStart teacher at Wando High School and the executive chef and owner of Old Firehouse Restaurant in Hollywood, SC.
Chef Twaler is an American Culinary Federation (ACF) Certified Executive Chef, was an apprentice on the Culinary Team USA in the 1996 Berlin Culinary Olympics, and was a safari chef at Hammond Ranch in Zimbabwe in 1998.
Chef Twaler’s professional accomplishments include the following:
- 2016 National Educator of Excellence Award
- 2016 SC Hospitality Educator of the Year
- ProStart State Management Championships in 2014, 2015 and 2016
- ProStart National Championship in 2015
Facemasks covering nose and mouth are required for all college visitors, students and employees. For updated information, please check reopening plans and guidelines to the college’s response to COVID-19.
- Dates: January 26, 2021
- Location: Truist Culinary & Hospitality Innovation Center - Greenville Technical College
- Address: 556 Perry Ave, Suite B114, Greenville, SC 29611
- Phone: (864) 250-8835
- Time: 5:30-9 pm
- Price: $119