Friday Starry Nights
Join Roper Mountain for a night under the stars in the Hooper Planetarium with a 360° full immersion dome, 4K projection, state-of-the-art lighting, dynamic 5.1 surround sound and more!
Shows change every few weeks, so check RoperMountain.org for the latest information on programs and times. Current Offerings:
6 p.m.: Cosmic Colors - Enjoy a wondrous journey through the world of color and beyond! Discover why the sky is blue, why Mars is red, and the reason why many things are the color that they are. Tour the interior of a plant leaf, voyage through a human eye, then step into the invisible universe as you investigate x-rays by taking on a monstrous black hole. Explore the world of infrared in a roaring fire, and even discover what may have been the actual color of a dinosaur. Come discover the amazing rainbow of cosmic light through "Cosmic Colors". Recommended for ages 4 and above.
8 p.m.: Solar Superstorms - A fury is building on the surface of the Sun - high-velocity jets, a fiery tsunami wave that reaches 100,000 kilometers high, rising loops of electrified gas. What's driving these strange phenomena? How will they affect planet Earth? Find the answers as we venture into the seething interior of our star. "Solar Superstorms" is a major new production that takes viewers into the tangle of magnetic fields and superhot plasma that vent the Sun's rage in dramatic flares, violent solar tornadoes, and the largest eruptions in the solar system: Coronal Mass Ejections. Brace yourself for the onslaught of the next... Solar Superstorm. Recommended for ages 7 and above.
Order Tickets Online Only - No On-Site Ticket Sales. All major credit cards are accepted. Tickets are non-refundable.
For your safety, they have set up the following guidelines:
- Reduced capacity to allow for distancing.
- Cleaning before and after shows.
- The lobby and planetarium be open 30 minutes before the show begins.
- Staff will wear masks. Masks for guests are recommended.
- No entry after feature show begins.
- You will be seated by the Planetarium Specialist and should stay in your assigned seat. Families will be seated together
- There will be 6 feet indicators to direct you while in the lobby.
- Daniel Observatory will not be open for viewing.
$6.00 for Adults and Teens
$5.00 Children (ages 4-12)
$5.00 Senior Citizens (age 60 & over)
FREE - RMSC Members and GCS employees with pass
Children age 3 and under - Not recommended
- Dates: June 12, 2020 - July 17, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Friday
- Location: Roper Mountain Science Center
- Address: 402 Roper Mountain Rd, Greenville, SC 29615
- Phone: (864) 355-8906
- Time: 6 and 8 pm
- Price: $6 - Adults; $5 - Children, Seniors and Military; FREE - Roper Mountain members and GCS Employees