Friday Starry Nights
Join Roper Mountain for a night under the stars in the Hooper Planetarium with a 360° full immersion dome, 4K projection, state-of-the-art lighting, dynamic 5.1 surround sound and more!
Shows change every few weeks, so check for the latest information on programs and times. Current Offerings:
6 p.m.: The Little Star That Could
This planetarium show is a story about Little Star, an average yellow star in search for planets of his own to protect and warm.
Along the way, he meets other stars, learns what makes each star special, and discovers that stars combine to form star clusters and galaxies.
Eventually, Little Star finds his planets. Each planet is introduced to your audiences with basic information about our Solar System.
Recommended for age 4 and above.
7:30 p.m.: Chasing The Ghost Particle
This planetarium show starts deep in the ice at the heart of Antarctica, where the biggest and strangest detector in the world waits for mysterious messengers from the cosmos. The detector is Ice Cube! The messengers are neutrinos-ghostly particles that give us tantalizing looks into world of exploding stars and black holes.
This show tells the incredible story of how an international team of scientists and engineers transformed one billion tons of Antarctic ice into a telescope. Building Ice Cube was a titanic endeavor driven by our human passion for discovery.
Your audiences will witness stunning views of the South Pole, captivating animations of the Ice Cub detectors capturing a neutrino collision and eye-catching views of the cosmos. Chasing The Ghost Particle: From the South Pole to the Edge of the Universe will take you on a journey you will never forget!
Order Tickets Online Only - No On-Site Ticket Sales. All major credit cards are accepted. Tickets are non-refundable.
For your safety, they have set up the following guidelines:
- The lobby and planetarium be open 30 minutes before the show begins.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
- You will be seated by the Planetarium Specialist and should stay in your assigned seat.
- There will be 6 feet indicators to direct you while in the lobby.
- Please be sure to have your eTicket (printed or electronic). Tickets will need to be scanned upon entry.
- The following passes will not be accepted at this time: Golden Circle, District Employee Passes, Admit One/Family.
- Daniel Observatory will not be open for viewing at this time.
$6.00 for Adults and Teens
$5.00 Children (ages 4-12)
$5.00 Senior Citizens (age 60 & over)
FREE - RMSC Members and GCS employees with pass
Children age 3 and under - Not recommended
- Dates: August 20, 2021 - September 24, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Friday
- Location: Roper Mountain Science Center
- Address: 402 Roper Mountain Rd, Greenville, SC 29615
- Phone: (864) 355-8906
- Time: 6 pm or 7:30 p.m.
- Price: $6 - Adults; $5 - Children, Seniors and Military; FREE - Roper Mountain members and GCS Employees