Friday Starry Nights
Join Roper Mountain for a night under the stars in the Hooper Planetarium with a 360° full immersion dome, 4K projection, state-of-the-art lighting, dynamic 5.1 surround sound and more!
Shows will change in September, so check for the latest information on programs and times.
4:30 p.m.: Legends of the Night Sky: Orion
Take an imaginative look at the stories and legends about Orion, the great hunter of the winter sky. Recommended for age 4 and above.
6 p.m.: Cosmic Colors: An Adventure Along the Spectrum
Allows you to enjoy a wondrous journey through the world of color and beyond! Discover why the sky is blue, why Mars is red, and the reason why many things are the color that they are. Tour the interior of a plant leaf, voyage through a human eye, then step into the invisible universe as you investigate x-rays by taking on a monstrous black hole. Explore the world of infrared in a roaring fire, and even discover what may have been the actual color of a dinosaur. Recommended for age 4 and above.
7:30 p.m.: Ultimate Universe
Takes you from the edge of space and time, through vast fields of wondrous galaxies, to the majesty of our solar system, this show will take audiences on a grand tour of the universe and let them experience its most provocative secrets. The show is a three dimensional journey from the edge of the universe through space and time to reach our home planet, witnessing the major components of the cosmos along the way. Recommended for age 8 and above.
Following your show in the Hooper Planetarium, take a walk to the Charles E. Daniel Observatory, which features a very historic 23″ refractor telescope, the eighth largest of its kind in the nation. The Great Refractor was completed in 1882 for Princeton University and was the main instrument in their Halsted Observatory. The lens was figured by Alvan Clark and Sons of Cambridge, Massachusetts. In 1933, the telescope was entirely rebuilt by J. W. Fecker Company. The U.S. Naval Observatory owned the telescope from 1964 until 1978, when it was offered to the School District of Greenville County.
Order Tickets Online Only - No On-Site Ticket Sales. All major credit cards are accepted. Tickets are non-refundable.
For your safety, the following guidelines are in place:
- The lobby and planetarium will open 30 minutes before the show begins.
- Please be sure to have your eTicket (printed or electronic). Tickets will need to be scanned upon entry.
- The following passes will not be accepted at this time: Golden Circle, District Employee Passes, Admit One/Family.
- Dates: September 1, 2023 - September 29, 2023
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Friday
- Location: Roper Mountain Science Center
- Address: 402 Roper Mountain Rd, Greenville, SC 29615
- Time: Every Friday, 4:30, 6 & 7:30 pm
- Price: $6.00 for Adults and Teens $5.00 Children (ages 4-12) $5.00 Senior Citizens (age 60 & over) $5.00 Military FREE - RMSC Members and GCS employees with pass Children age 3 and under - Not recommended