Superheroes and Superstars: The Works of Alex Ross
Superheroes are a part of our daily lives. They engage our imaginations on the pages of comic books, television and movie screens, as well as on the Broadway stage and in the virtual world of gaming.
In the spring of 2018, superheroes will descend upon the Upstate South Carolina as the Upcountry History Museum explores the world of superheroes and superstars through a special exhibition from the Norman Rockwell Museum. The exhibit titled, Superheroes and Superstars: The Works of Alex Ross, includes over 100 pieces of original artwork; including paintings, sketches, and models created by Alex Ross, one of the greatest artists in the field of comic books.
With brilliant use of watercolor, Ross has spent most of his career revitalizing classic superheroes into works of fine art. His breakthrough work on Marvel Comics in 1994 propelled him into comic book superstardom at the age of 24. Ross's paintings revolutionized the comic book industry and transcended the newsstand origins of his profession.
Captain America, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Avengers and many more will come to life on the walls of the Museum. Popular culture icons, such as the Beatles, Star Wars, Monty Python, and Flash Gordon have also been drawn by Ross and are included in the exhibition.
Through the works of Alex Ross, visitors both young and old will be led on the journey of a superhero, including the moment in which we are all called to the adventure.
- Presented By: Upcountry History Museum | Furman University
- Dates: February 10, 2018 - June 3, 2018
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: Upcountry History Museum
- Address: 6809 State Park Rd, Travelers Rest, SC 29690
- Phone: 864-467-3100
- Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Price: Adults - $8Senior Adults (65+) and College Students - $7Children and Teens (ages 4-18) - $6Children ages 3 and under are FREE